Wednesday, June 07, 2006

meeting my mentor

Met Zexian today, been a long time since i saw him, the last had to be during ns or even jc days... he and jo were my mentors from my secondary school days... i used mentors because i haven been to church in years. but back then, Jo was my cell leader... and Zexian, her bf and prospective husband... I learnt a lot from the 2 of them back then, they were people whom i always look up and and respect and i always felt that they are people who listen with their hearts rather than logic... that is remarkable considering that they are older than me by only 5 or 6 years... they are people who can be trusted... both of them got married last year, but to different partners at the same church in East Coast but different timings, however the dates are pretty near to each other thou... irony of life... their breakup allowed me to learn a lot of things too, things are never to be taken for granted, anything can just happen and with a twist of fate or events, what was there, could never be there or even the same anymore... theirs was a 5 years relationship which most people in church thought they will get married eventually...

it was a major shock to receive a sms from him a few days earlier, asking me how i was and wanting to meet up, i had lost contact with him over the years cos of me leaving church and NS and whatever there was... i msged him and sent my well wishes during his wedding, something which he appreciated a lot... he is like a big brother to me, someone whom i can trust a lot but seeing him today shocked me greatly, his hair were mostly white and grey... hardly what you would expect from someone merely 29, thou working in EDB could very well be a reason and cause for it... we chatted a lot over lunch and coffee.. he seemed happy there and enjoying the work, and has plans to get me in if i am interested... something which i appreciated a lot... talked about the future plans, the updates in church and his life with his wife who is 3 months pregnant.. so cool... we can talk about almost everything in life... he asked whats my plans were, i told him simply i wanted to start up next time but i had to look for sources of capital which meant that i had to work first... that was his sentiments, he would love to start something of his own too, thou his dad has his own F&B business... den he started talking to me in a big brotherly manner which made me think a lot... planning for the future and stuff lidat, not that i didnt think about it or plan for it, but he took me to a deeper level of planning... i am grateful for that... I think now, a job for me in EDB cum SSC is a possibility, that is something which i can look into, thou its govt job but its something along my line of interest, which might possibly made me shelve my plans for graduation and go for honours... i have to start thinking and planning... the latest i have is one more sem...

I was surprised to learnt of what they thought of me when i was younger, that i was someone who was very real to them too, with the capacity to hold things and a heart to do so... and mature for someone who was my age as i see things in another way which most people my age dont. but they understand that there could be underlying reasons beneath it, but they never pushed me into responsibilities which i didnt wanted at that point of time, something that was very different from the church's stand, but i am not blaming anyone or anything... maybe its because of that that i am closer to them and feel more bonded to them. According to him, i was an external source of strength to Jo at that time, cos she was grateful to find me in a secondary sch ministry for who i am and what i possessed... i'm touched... there are a lot other things which we talked about too, but i am feeling it more now than i can put it into words...
I shall make more effort to keep in touch with him, now to find Jo... haven met her in ages... I promised him that i will meet him when i am back from Thailand... I shall just do that... and if i can, find something for him in thailand...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home