Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Manchester - Liverpool

Second time to Manchester, originally, I had planned to go to Lake district on this trip but the long journey and the prospect of travelling alone is a major turnoff… in the end, had to settle for a trip to a nearer place – the beautiful city of Liverpool. It was an on and off affair, cos I was undecided about going to Liverpool or staying to explore Manchester itself… in the end, on the very same day on touching down, I headed out to Liverpool with another colleague. Armed with nothing but a heart of exploration and visiting new places, we set off for the train station to catch a train to Liverpool which is 50 mins away. Reaching the place, we bought ourselves a map and begin planning where to visit. Anfield wasn't on the agenda not because that I am a Man U fan, but simply because this was an impromptu trip and we were more keen to explore the city and see the prominent features of the city. Seeing the various important historical buildings, nobody can come to Liverpool and miss out on the famous Albert Dock. Basically, we trekked around the city for the whole afternoon, grabbing street food along the way. We were lucky to arrive on the day where Liverpool is holding the largest music festival in Europe. Liverpool has just been crowned the most cultural city in Europe. Giants stages were set up everywhere in the city and roads were closed and most shops were closed for the event as well. But everyone was out in the streets, listening, dancing to the live concert bands and celebrities singing on the different stages set up in all different parts of the city.

After walking through the major attractions in the city, we missed out on the mini replicas of the famous icons in Liverpool. Homework wasn't well doned enough, so that calls for a revisit in the future. We decided to head to Anfield only to find that it is too far to walk and time is running out for us… so no Liverpool FC for us… and we travelled back to Manchester soon after. The next day, the girls visited my favourite club at Sir Matt Busby Way… I was torn between going again and exploring the rest of the city. Exploration got the better of me and I decided against going to Old Trafford and went out on my own to walk the city… tried to way through the city centre, did some shopping and tried very hard to find my Manchester fridge magnet to no avail. Which later in the day, I was told that they could be selling it at the town hall and I saw a souvenir show at Deansgate. I meet my colleagues for dinner at night, before retiring for the night and working back the following day… this marks an end of a rather uneventful Manchester trip, but fulfilling all the same cos I manage to visit Liverpool, so its another pin on the places that I explored. I think proper homework has to be done next time if I want to go to Lake District. Edinburgh and Blackpool was recommended to me and added to the agenda list for the future visits. First and foremost, getting my Manchester fridge magnet is important as well…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home