Saturday, August 22, 2009

Fukuoka with Matthew

Very lucky to have been activated for a 4 days Fukuoka flight, secretly pleased about it and I hope that there is more to come. Pleasant surprised to find Matthew on the flight too, so its turning out to be a even better trip than I expected. I was planning what to do in Fukuoka until I saw Matt’s name, then I knew I had someone to go sightseeing with. First day was just pretty much staying around in the city, shopping for grocery and window shopping for me… recently, damages to my pocket has been extensive, I must start saving up again. That night, we bought sashimi from the supermarket and had a wonderful sashimi feast in my room, using my cargo bag as the table. The spread? Scallops, more scallops, salmon, tuna, potato salad and hanagoyomi and of course plum wine and beer. Pure delight. We couldn't miss out on ramen as it is what fukuoka is famous for. So ramen very much became our staple food everyday.

The next morning, we headed out to Dazhaifu, some national historical town which housed a lot of ancient buildings and relics, so much so that it is termed as an ancient city and promoted as that. Armed with a rough map, we made our way to Dazhaifu on train and the weather is a killer, scorching hot sun and we had nothing to shield us. Sightseeing must still go on though, and we made our way ard on foot, trekking long distances just to see the historical relics and its not as if they are nearby each other. They happen to be pretty far apart and so we were all over the ancient city trying to cover as much of the relics as possible. From the famous Dazhaifu temple, to the Municipal Government building, the Kuan Yin temple with the Bonsho bell which has been listed as a national treasure. Interestingly, the Bonsho bell has been fenced up, but the kuan yin temple is pretty runned down. I am wondering more like if its fenced up cos it's a national treasure or because it's a bell of curse, which I think its used to curse someone if its rang… tts what I perceived from the Chinese name.

Something which I noticed in Dazhaifu is that people staying in the ancient city, all have very big backyards, which they used to plant their own vegetables and their own padi. Self sufficient or for sales in the market, but it was a sight be behold, just like back to kampong days in Singapore. After Dazhaifu, Matthew wanted to go back for some shopping and that was the plan imposed and we headed back to Fukuoka… dinner was at this famous ramen joint which always had a very long queue when I was there previously. Finally I get to taste it.

I just love being in this city. Love the food, love the magnificent hotel room. I wonder when I have the chance to be back again.. hope its soon thou =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home